February so far…
Hello everyone. I haven’t done a blog post for a while! How bad. I’ve been a busy worker bee, as well as writing a few articles here and there. Here’s what I’ve been upto: click below to read more.
- I saw the film Shame directed by Steve McQueen with Michael Fassbender. It’s good, rather dodgy & explicit but good scenes and I’m glad I finally checked out the Hackney Picture House.
- Been following all this stuff about SOPA/PIPA. If you haven’t already, check out Clay Shirky’s Ted Talk discussing his views on it. He’s SUCH a brain-box. Watch this space for my (slightly-related) article on it for the Edelman Digital blog. This podcast by my Edelman colleagues is also a really good listen.
- Signed up for the PR Prom. And I have the brilliant James Drake as my date. Very excited.
- I’ve also been checking out the events at Social Media Week London. I’m going to be writing up reviews on each one.
- I’ve been invited to the More! Magazine Network Event!! They go on sale for everyone really soon, I think it’s £5. You’ll get to meet the team and ask questions about journalism/marketing.
- I saw A PLAY at the Yard Theatre in Hackney. It was by a group of travelling ‘clowns’ from Exeter (my hometown) called Le Navet Bete who are just hilarious. It was a spin-off of the Nativity play. Highlight was seeing a skinhead man dress up as angel Gabriel and in a tight gold costume as the Star.
- I’m reading The Social Animal by NYT David Brooks, about ‘Hidden sources of Love, Character and Achievement’.
- I’m also reading: That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson inspired by watching Madonna’s W.E. film. Interesting to read her as a person and not just vilified.
- I checked out the Tea House Theatre in Vauxhall and had amazing tea and cakes for the beautiful Emily’s birthday.
- I wrote an article for PR Moment about social voice. I’ll link to it in a separate post.
- I met up with my old work friends from Hill + Knowlton – we’re all doing such different things now and it’s always so good to catch up.
- I discovered my new favourite cocktail called ‘the spector’ at the Hospital Club. We all suffered massively the next day.
- Talking of cocktails, I made a new digital friend at Detroit Bar! I tweeted a picture of my cosmopolitan and turns out Marcello that works there is also a tweeter like me.
- I went to Canada Water for the first time! I was always asking ‘what happens there?’ Strange place but my friend Erin had a houseparty and it was the most amazing house!! like a log cabin.
- I went to Birmingham and made friends with a hilarious taxi driver. My sister turned 20 and we played a grown-ups version of Pass the parcel.
- I went to Glasgow to visit my big brother for his birthday. I tried haggis! I learnt that my 4 year old nephew is amazing at doing the ‘robot’. I met my newest family member – like 2 month year old Zachary. Little Zac. We went to the GOMA (Galley of Modern Art). We tried to check out the Science Museum but got lost. I also sang a strange (and rather public) rendition of Rolling in the Deep with my Uncle Dave.
- Phew! That’s quite enough for now. I think this year is going to be very exciting. Lots has happened already. I’m going to see Les Miserables for the first time in a few weeks……. and I’ll be doing lots of blog posts about Social Media Week this month. Edelman’s hosting two event’s – Social Business in Action and Reaching the 7 Billion – Using mobile to create global social engagement. Come along!!!!
My New Book
The world of work is changing - so how do you keep up?
You have the ability to make money on our own terms, when and where you want - but where do you start?
If you've been itching to convert your craft into a career, or your side-hustle into a start up, then The Multi-Hyphen Method is for you.