A Very Zen Weekend In A Countryside Cabin With Canopy & Stars
I never want to be one of those people who complain about living in London. I still think it’s the best place ever. I still feel so excited that I get to live there. I was born in Devon and London was always so big and shiny and exciting – and it still is. Isn’t there a phrase that says if you tire of London you tire of life?
I love my city apartment, with everything on my doorstep and the exciting opportunities all around me. I love the buzz, and I hope I never stop loving it.
HOWEVER, it’s totally OK to admit that sometimes London grinds you down. It is relentless, it is never-ending. I love being able to get a pint of milk at midnight if I so choose – but god, sometimes you need a break. Even if that means a break from the constant sirens. Sometimes, you just need….quiet.
When the amazing Canopy & Stars got in touch to offer me a stay in one of their properties I thought it all looked amazing. They have all sorts of amazing staycations on offer: a bunch of unusual places to stay. I wanted to find somewhere close to London, but far away enough to feel on holiday for the weekend. They started with just seven spaces and now have over 600 available places in the UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. I like them because they champion small and independent places.
When they got in touch, I was in the middle of writing my book (The Multi-Hyphen Method) and it was taking up all of my time, as well as many other projects. I had to postpone the trip and tell them I’d be back in touch when things got quieter. So post book-launch, when I was hanging by a thread and suffering from a lovely dose of burn-out I got back in touch and they arranged for me to visit Hare-Field Cabin, a gorgeous countryside cabin retreat in Sudbury, Suffolk. HOORAY.
So here’s what I loved about it, in list form:
– I loved discovering Suffolk for the first time. Such a lovely part of the UK. Really easy to go and explore the beaches and town.
– When you arrive, there is home-made bread, eggs, milk and biscuits waiting for you.
– The interiors are very comfortable, modern and homely.
– There is a log fire.
– There is Netflix!
– THE VIEWS.
– There is outdoor seating for those sunny afternoons and warm evenings.
– The owners (Rachel and Robert) live next door and are there if you need anything, they are super friendly and helpful.
– It is only an hour and a half from London (maybe less if you are coming from East London?)
– It is VERY quiet and peaceful and the countryside views are amazing.
– You can take a day trip to the beach – we went to Walberswick.
– You can visit Lavenham, a really interesting little Medieval village. We went for brunch and had a really brilliant experience at the The Swan spa.
– You really feel like you are in the middle of simple unspoiled nature. It is so relaxing being away from it all.
– The cabin is really cosy – candles, carpets, comfy bedding.
– It’s easy to find, and affordable too.
You can discover Harefield Cabin via Canopy & Stars.
My New Book
The world of work is changing - so how do you keep up?
You have the ability to make money on our own terms, when and where you want - but where do you start?
If you've been itching to convert your craft into a career, or your side-hustle into a start up, then The Multi-Hyphen Method is for you.